Graduate Environmental Health Officer
Fixed Term, 12 Months
Do you want to live in an amazing location, work in an amazing job and make a real and positive difference?
About Kaipara District Council
We are in the business of creating a thriving community where people love to live, work and play. We recognise that to do that, we need to have the right people on board.
We offer an enviable lifestyle in a beautiful environment where rural charm meets coastal chic. Northland's renowned white sandy beaches, extensive native forests, rolling green pastures and laid back lifestyle make this an amazing place to live and work.
About the Role
Reporting to the Regulatory Manager, you will assist with the coordination and administration of regulatory compliance activities in the area of Environment Health (Water & Food).
To be successful you will bring:
- A relevant qualification/studying a relevant qualification and ideally some experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to self-manage, pick things up quickly and manage a diverse range of work
- A positive outlook and a methodical approach
- A level of competence in the use of technology
- A high level of competence (or potential to be developed) in customer liaison
- A strong service orientation
- The confidence (or potential to be developed) to make the tough decisions when required
- Negotiation skills and ability to competently diffuse conflict situations (or potential to be developed)
- A current driver's licence
The activities that you'll be undertaking (depending on your qualification and experience) include:
- Working towards being able to monitor and enforce food safety in food premises
- Working towards being able to verify food control plans and national programs
- Inspection and monitoring of Health Act registered premises
- Investigation of health nuisances
- Drinking water testing
- Responding to customer enquires
- Providing education to the Community on Environmental Health matters including food safety
Oh, we forgot to mention! Kaipara District Council has just become a recognised agency able to conduct verification services for National Programmers under the Food Act 2014. We may be a small organisation but we are progressive and we were commended on the high standards that we've set!
So if you feel you are the perfect fit and up for this great opportunity to live and work in the beautiful Northland environment (a world class coastal lifestyle only 90 minutes' drive from Auckland and 45 minutes from Whangarei) then don't wait - apply now!