Building Control - Technical Lead
Calling senior building professionals - do you want to live in a stunning location, work in an amazing job and make a real and positive difference?
At Kaipara District Council we are proud to be part of a thriving community that offers a balanced lifestyle, great climate, affordable housing, and plenty of opportunities for recreation and relaxation. We are intent on lifting the wellbeing and pride of our communities.
This is an exciting new leadership role with a focus on determining the direction of our building control service and the future of our building control activities across the district. Kaipara District is rapidly growing and changing. The Building Services team is responsible for ensuring the safety of people living and working in our district's buildings and we are looking for a highly experienced building control professional to fill the permanent position of Principal Building Lead. Based in the beautiful coastal location of Mangawhai this is a career and lifestyle opportunity too good to miss!
The Building Services unit is a small friendly group made up of two team leaders, eight building control/compliance and five vetting/admin staff. You will be operating at a senior leader level, reporting directly to the Building Services Manager. You won't have any direct reports, so none of the day to day demands of managing people, but you will be leading the professional development of our whole team.
What you'll be doing:
- Providing expert technical advice to staff, applicants, designers, builders and senior managers and acting as our leading technical guru in all aspects of building control
- Leading and directing the Council's approach to building control & compliance
- Coaching, mentoring, training and developing our building services unit staff
- Representing Council in determinations & court hearings
- Representing Council on technical committees at local, regional and national level
- Keeping up to date and fully versed with all relevant legislation, and sharing implications with the team
- Carrying out some processing and inspections to maintain your competency.
As our ideal candidate you will:
- Hold a professional qualification recognized under Regulation 18 of the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006
- Hold a current competency for processing and inspections, in line with the National Competency Assessment System
(If you don't know what the above items refer to, then this job is not for you!)
- Be an experienced Senior Building Control officer
- Have a wealth of expertise in the building control environment and expert knowledge of all relevant local government and building legislation
- Have experience in preparing complex and technically sound reports and documentation.
You'll also be a great communicator, a passionate collaborator, a skilled coach and mentor, and have a forward thinking, solutions focused mind set.
Our offer to you:
- A competitive salary (equivalent to our Team Leader roles)
- The opportunity to steer Council's approach to building control & compliance
- An environment that fosters personal growth
- Flexible working options
- Excellent work life balance
- Contribution towards relocation costs if required.
While our building services team serve the entire Kaipara District, this job is based in our Mangawhai office. Just a short hop from Auckland city, we have white sand dunes, an excellent surf beach and top-notch fishing just offshore. If you're more of a land lover, then the lifestyle blocks amongst the rolling green hills of Kaipara might be more your style. If you're a foodie, you'll be well catered for with local markets and plenty of local restaurants and bars. This place really comes alive in summer when you can take full advantage of the idyllic location.
We would love you to be part of our team - don't delay, apply today!